Did you know...
· AISD ranks as the number one school district in the nation for total amount of renewable energy purchased?
· Eleven AISD schools have solar arrays and currently participate in the State Energy Conservation Office’s Innovative Energy Demonstration Program?
· 2004 and 2008 Bond Programs new schools, classroom additions, and major renovations have achieved at least a two-star rating through the Austin Energy Green Building Program?
· The Service Center implemented a Green Housekeeping Program?
· The District has the largest commercial mower fleet in the state powered by liquid propane gas?
· The 2009 Efficiency Study rated AISD’s energy management as a best practice in aggressive energy use reduction, sustainable schools and environmentally-friendly maintenance?
· AISD participates as a partner in the CLEAN AIR Force of Central Texas?
· The District created an Environmental Stewardship Envisioning Committee to coordinate AISD’s environmental stewardship efforts at all levels?
· AISD has retrofitted all its facilities with low usage lighting?
· The District has a no-idling policy for school vehicles?
· AISD’s fleet fueling policy requires fueling in early morning or late afternoon to reduce emissions from fumes?
· The Transportation Department uses a sophisticated computer program, to determine the most effective and efficient bus routes?
· AISD is the proud owner of the only plug-in hybrid bus in Texas?
· The average age of AISD school buses is 5.3 years and 360 of the 501 are low-emissionschool buses?
· 135 of the school buses are equipped with a GPS system to ensure the most efficient route is being followed by the driver?
· New purchases of all dishwashers, electric steamers, refrigeration and hot food holding cabinets carry an ENERGY STAR rating?
· The Department of Technology migrated 203 servers from stand alone hardware to a virtualized environment saving almost one million kWhrs annually?
· The Department of Technology migrated all teachers from desktops to more efficient notebook computers?
Did you know that we can do more?
· Walk or bike instead of drive.
· Reuse and recycle paper.
· Turn off the lights when you leave a room.
· Use energy saving light bulbs.
· Don’t leave the water running when you brush your teeth or wash your hands.
· Turn off entertainment devices when not in use.
· Unplug your chargers, video games and appliances.
· Use a “smart” power strip that listens for when a main unit, like a TV, is turned off and then turns off other electronics.
· Buy ENERGY STAR appliances that use between 15% to 50% less energy than regular appliances.
· Get the junk out of your trunk and properly inflate your tires.
· Change the air-conditioner filters regularly.
· Buy local. The average food travels 1,500 miles. Buying local ensures you get fresher, healthier food, while lowering your costs, and reducing the impacts from transportation.
· Turn the AC down a few degrees in the winter and up a few degrees in the summer.
For more information and to SHARE YOUR ENERGY SAVINGS TIPS log on to www.austinisd.org/inside/environmental_center