Keep Austin Beautiful and the City's Watershed Protection Department leads hands-on science based activities that gear up for completing a service project on a campus (or off). Through the Clean Creek Campus program KAB assists schools (grades 3rd – 12th) with the below activities that lead up to the specified service project.
- Campus or Creek Cleanup: Impact of Litter, and Watersheds/Water Quality
· Native Garden Installation: Green Gardening, Soils, Native Plants
· Organic Vegetable Garden Installation/Maintenance: Green Gardening, Soils, Plants
· Recycling Campaign: Recycling, and Landfills
· Compost Installation: Vermi-composting, and Green Gardening
· Park/Creek Restoration Project: Impact of Litter, Watersheds, Native Plants
· Environmental Fair: Presentations are dependent on those topics that will be featured at the fair. Note that KAB provides presentations and activity kits along with guidance to organize and coordinate the fair but that this is a student-led project. This does not entail KAB or other organizations coming out to lead activities for the fair.
Clean Creek Campus also provides cleanup supplies, seed donations, plants, soil, cardboard recycling bins, storm drain marking kits, and tools to assist schools in completing the service project. Schools who participate in two activities and complete a service project also receive a Clean Creek Campus banner to recognize their efforts to protect Austin’s Environment. All lessons and supplies are provided FREE to participating schools.